Thursday 4 December 2008

BIG challenge and little presents

So I was thinking about possibly doing a 'buy nothing new' year starting in January. I've talked to Mac (my husband) about it, since I wouldn't want to take this on and then have him feel obligated to buy things on my behalf. He suggested that I start with those aims in mind, and then just see how well I do--not to really force the issue. BUT, should you make sacrifices every once in a while? It's not much of a challenge if I say 'well, I'll do it until I get out of my comfort zone, and then I'll just change it to fit what I want', right?

The 'little presents' is the idea where I think I might get some mugs from a charity shop (do they sell mugs there?) and then give them to my co-workers with a promise that I will wash them out for them for the next 2-3 months. That way they'll use mugs without it hassling them. I don't mind washing them out, and hopefully they'll get used to the idea and once my washing-certificate runs out, they will start washing the mugs themselves. This is as a replacement both to the paper cups that the coffee machine dispenses and the plastic cups people use for water.

Any thoughts?

5 comments:

Jani said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Jani said...

I was just talking today to some Buddhists in the cafe, who were telling me that the nuns and monks from their monastery go on a regular pilgrimage, where they take NOTHING but what they are wearing and an alms bowl.

Added to this they are not allowed to ASK for anything!! Apparently they all do this, in this country, and get fed and looked after! Quite inspiring really.

I love the Buy Nothing New idea - I guess you can't apply it to food though :)

I think I may have almost had a BNN year this year, I've been watching the pennies so closely! I may join you on this challenge!!!

Megan said...

Woo-hoo! I would love the company. The only thing I think about is craft supplies... But I'm sure I can just be more creative.

I'm sure there are other things that might be difficult.... I have to think about the food thing. SOme people who do a buy nothing month/year include restaurants, some don't....

Megan said...

Right, it's official.

I am having 2009 be a "buy nothing new" year.

I think it will be a bit of a challenge, but I hope I can do it. Check out my blog for all the rules and details. I would LOVE to have people join me--it's always easier if you do something together!

http://lessandlessandmore.blogspot.com

Helena said...

I was thinking about doing something similar the other day, before I'd seen this blog. A friend at work was asked if they were giving up chocolate for Lent again this year, which let me to think what I could give up.

I'm not brave enough to go the whole hog and have a 'BNN year', but I think Lent would be a big enough challenge for me. Food is allowed, though... :)